Tuesday, January 22, 2008

visions of sombras and a semi-cama

last night i took a bus to còrdoba, argentina. kickin' back in a semi-cama on the second level of a double decker, my neighbors included a holland-aged boy, loudly sniffling on his mothers lap as he waved resistantly to an old man outside the window (grandpa), an elderly stern-looking argentine lady who commented on the punctuality and service of this particular bus company (the aunts? jaja), and a young couple who probably spent more time gazing into eachothers eyes during the 9 hour trip than sleeping. I drifted in and out of conciousness, arms arduously shoved into my dad's purple backpack for warmth because who knew that the temperature automatically drops 20some degrees when you leave buenos aires? the bus driver's unused jacket hung, daunting me, within arms reach for the entirety of the drive.

a drizzly morning greeted me in còrdoba today, which quickly turned into pleasantly overcast as i wandered the streets of the so called "cultural capital of the americas". while "palm springs of washington" quickly comes to mind, i won't completely take away it's credit: the old churches, universities, and plazas hold a relaxed charm that could be refreshing if you ignore the blocks and bocks of tourist-geared shops.

speaking of tourism, the conveniency of aprx. 5 kodak shops within walking distance of my hostel leads me to share a noteworthy note: i purchased a disposable camera for 15 argentine pesos. it should hold me over until my intended brush with santiago's electronics black market. according to felipe, my chilean friend, you can get a sweet-ass camera for a mere 20 bucks. who knows, maybe i'll get a good deal on a nikon d40X with pictures from antarctica on the memory card.

me: (looking wide-eyed and very american) ¿de verdad?
translation: really?
Felipe: Estàs en latinoamèrica, mi amor.
translation: you're in latin america, my love.

until then, i'm taking a ride back in time to the pre trigger happy days of non-digital cameras

No comments: